Glebe Wanderers FC Match Report

Submitted on Sat 06 Jun 2015

Reserves 1 pm: Waverley 4 -3 GWFC

Glebe came into the match smarting after a couple of losses and needed to get the season back on track.

Waverley were flying high having won 5 in a row, and while Glebe had quite a few injuries and absentees to contend with, we were happy to have Jodie Scott back after a 4 week layoff with injury.

The game started off to form, with Glebe struggling to impose themselves and Waverley looking threatening, and it was a worthy 2-0 lead that Waverley took into half time.

A stern half time talk from Manager Stuart Emmins, along with the introduction of the fit again Scott, reaped almost immediate dividends when Jodie scored early in the second half.

Waverley unfortunately didn’t read the script and scored again within 5 minutes, but this only spurred Glebe on further and they dragged themselves back level with 2 goals from Tom Leonard.

Unfortunately though, with all the momentum swinging in our favour, it wasn’t to be and an innocuous Waverley cross found its ways seemingly impossibly into the Glebe goal with just 5 minutes left. A late surge from the lads didn’t quite yield anything, but a much better performance in the second half will offer some encouragement to the reserves.


First Grade 3pm: Waverley 0-0 GWFC

After losing to rivals Coogee the week before despite a pretty good performance, Glebe were confident coming out against a Waverley team, who despite some good form, didn’t really strike any fear.

A last minute injury to Goalkeeper Sean Cummins saw the two goal hero from the Reserve game, Tom Leonard, jump into goals. And that was almost the last involvement he had for the day.

Glebe’s back 4 were on top form and cleaned up what little threat that Waverley could muster. Unfortunately though, despite having a lot of the ball and looking threatening, we couldn’t quite find a goal.

Further disruption to the team came when 35 minutes in Mark McGreal and Ash Mulligan both rose to head the ball and ended up knocking each other down after a nasty head clash.

Ash was bandaged up and able to continue, but Mark was dispatched swiftly to the hospital for seven stitches to a cut above his eye.

The ensuing reshuffle saw the momentum slip up to half time and the game only really opened up again in the last 15 minutes, with Phil Knight looking threatening and very unlucky not to put Glebe ahead.

The best effort of the day came from diminutive midfielder Martin Slevin, whose 30-yard shot thundered into the underside of the crossbar but managed somehow to stay out of the Waverley goal.

Glebe unlucky not to get the win and an unfortunate day injury wise – thankfully a rest week next week may allow some of the injuries to recover.

Share this article