Match Report Glebe vs UNSW

Submitted on Sat 04 Jul 2015

After the disappointing results against Dunbar last weekend, Glebe were looking forward to getting back on track against the students who’ve had a tough year.

There would however be no room for complacency, the students only win of the season coming against league leaders, Coogee United.

So after a couple of good sessions , the squads were ready for the weekend, but on Friday afternoon, news came through from the league that Uni would be unable to field a team in first grade….disappointing, but did come just in time for to allow some of the lads to get a rare Friday night out organised!

The reserves had no such luxury, and came in focused knowing they’d be facing a stronger Uni side than usual.

They couldn’t have gotten off to a better start, when the returning Cian Slevin strolled through about 6 Uni players to slot the opener after just 2 minutes. After missing last week because of a skydive, and almost all of the season so far through injury, it was good to see Benny playing again.

It didn’t  take long for Ash Mulligan to find a second goal from a short corner and smart finish with his rarely used left foot, and just before half time Slevin continued to make up for lost time by finding the third.

It should be said that Glebe could have been further ahead, but a combination of some fortunate goalkeeping and some wastefulness in front of goal, stopped Glebe going in more than 3 ahead.

Uni reorganised for the second half, and came out much better. Glebe made a few changes and this seemed to stunt the flow of good football that was prevalent in the first half.

The chances kept coming though, and kept being wasted, and after some pressure Uni managed to find a goal to make it 3-1.

A couple more changes for Glebe followed and with 30 mins left, they began to get on top again. Goalscoring & goalkeeping hero from previous weeks Tom Leonard was struggling from a knock that he picked up in the first half and had to go off with 25 to go, but with all substitutes having been used, Glebe were down to 10 men.

Despite this, Uni failed to capitalise and Glebe managed to grab another goal through Garry Toase, who could (and should) have had a few more on the day.

It finished 4-1 to Glebe and gave a welcome 3 points after a run of 5 or 6 games without a win.

On to high flying Phoenix next week, with some more confidence back in the team and hopefully a few more players returning from injury or trips overseas.

Share this article